Monday, October 25, 2004

“I'm shakin' the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna see the world.”

The Movie: It’s a Wonderful Life, 1946 (Frances Goodrich, Albert Hackett, and Frank Capra, from a story by Philip Van Doren Stern; Frank Capra, director)
Who says it: Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey, a man who discovers his wealth in his friends
The context: As George is leaving on a trip around the world, his father’s sudden death requires him to stay in Bedford Falls to run the family savings and loan.
How to use it: When starting on a journey.

Dizzy and I hit the road again today, but I'm having a hard time mustering up enthusiasm for getting back in the car. It would be so easy for me to return to Washington permanently... again, almost as if I'd never left, which is the single biggest reason I need to push on. I don't want to do the easy thing, despite the voice in the back of my head that says, "What, are you CRAZY?"

So we're off to Newport, RI today. The original plan was to stay overnight in New York, but it proved too difficult to do with a large dog. I'm disappointed not to see my NY friends on this trip, but chances are good that I'll be back in the city within the next several weeks. Tonight Dizzy and I will stay with my twin sister, Kathy, and her family.

Yesterday was my first Italian lesson, because Ashton and Joseph host an Italian class in their home on Sunday afternoons. I'm impressed at how serious they are about it. They go to Italy as often as they can, and will be back there over Christmas -- Ashton said he heard a rumor about some old guy in a hat who puts on a big show for Christmas in Rome.

Oh, and Ashton wanted me to clarify that the Samantha Fox CD does not represent his or Joseph's taste in music, it represents their taste in humor. After checking out her website, I understand this.

No comments: